Leta Anderson wrote:

> I think it was Charlie who "rode forever on the MTA"

          M.T.A .

Let us tell you the story of a man named Charlie
On a tragic and fateful day,
He put 10c in his pocket, kissed his wife and family,
Went to ride on the M.T.A.

Did he esver return, no he never returned,
And his fate is still unlearned,
He will ride forever 'neath the streets of Boston,
He's the man who never returned.

Charlie handed in his dime at the Keneall Square Station
ANd he changed for Jamaica Plain.
WHen he got there the conductor told him one more nickel
Charlie couldnt get off that train.
 Chorus

Now, all night long Charie rides through the tunnel
Saying 'what will become of me?
How can I  afford to see my sister ion Chelsea,
Or my cousin in Roxbury?'

Chorus

Charlie's wife goes down to SEolly Square Station
Every day at a quarter past two
And through the open window she hands Charlie  a sandwich
As the train comes rumbling through.

Chorus

Now, ye citizens of Boston, don't you think its a scandal
THat the peopolehave to pay and pay
Fight the fare increases, fightthje fare increase
And get Charlie off the M.T.A.

Chorus.

I've often wondered, in th e years since I learned that song - why Charlie's
wife didn't just give him a nickel together with his sandwich?

Hilary Blue