Hi Listfolk,

A couple months ago I asked for advice on getting a scooter for my Dad.
Thanks to all who responded then!  I thought you might like to hear what we
ended up with.

I talked to a couple of local (north Atlanta) medical supply firms and
ended up working with Core Medical.  They were recommended by the
independent living facility where Dad lives (Mount Vernon Towers) and,
since the complex has rather strict rules about electric mobility vehicles,
I felt it would be wise to go with the flow.

Both the head nurse at Mount Vernon Towers and the representative from Core
Medical (an RN) suggested that Dad get a powerchair rather than a scooter.
A powerchair is an electric wheel chair gussied up to look less like a
wheel chair and also to work better on rough terrain--outdoors, going over
bumps, etc.  They put a special seat and back on Dad's chair.  The standard
is a "captain's chair", but he has a contoured back that can be adjusted in
several ways, both for his comfort and to correct for his slump.  Sitting
in a straight backed chair, Dad is so bent over that he looks at the floor
or his lap and looking straight ahead is a strain.  This is NOT a good
situation when "driving" the powerchair!  The adjustable back puts him in a
position to see where he's going much better.

The chair is controlled by a joystick, really a sort of large rubber
nipple, on the arm.  This can be put on either side--good for Dad since his
right arm doesn't work.  Scooters are more like a bicycle, with two handed
controls on a rod at the head of the scooter.  It stops just by taking
pressure off the joystick, so there's no need for a separate braking
device.  It is more manueverable than a scooter.  Turns in a circle without
moving sideways even a hair!

The chair is programmable so that speed, torque, acceleration and stopping
time can be adjusted to suit the driver and the conditions.  It is fitted
with two batteries and will go quite a ways without recharging (sorry, I've
forgotten the details).  It comes with a battery charger.  Plugging it in
overnight assures a good charge for the next day's tooling around.  I was
trained on how to take apart and reassemble the chair so it can travel.
The big problem I have is that the base chair, even without the batteries,
weighs 80 lbs.  While I could fit it all in the trunk of my car, I am
unwilling to try lifting it in and out.

If you've stayed with me this long, here's an important factor in choosing
between a scooter and a powerchair.  80% of the cost of Dad's chair (almost
$6,000) is being covered by Medicare.  They are much more likely to pay for
a powerchair than for a scooter.  The premise is that scooters are used
OUTSIDE the home, while a powerchair (read wheel chair) is used inside.
They will cover the cost for someone who needs an electric mobility vehicle
for daily living inside the home.  If it is only needed to go out, they
figure the person can just stay home.

This has been our experience so far.  Dad's getting used to the chair and
prepared for the "driving test" required by Mount Vernon Towers.  So far he
is not using it inside the apartment (don't tell Medicare!) but it gives
him more freedom to get around in the complex...to the mailboxes, laundry
room, meetings, etc.  If we have any more great insights as he uses it
more, I'll pass them on.

Jane Koenig (from Jawjah)
daughter of Fred (80/1-ish)