Joan, and All....

It's my feeling that when a celebrity comes forth claiming to have
been diagnosed with Parkinson's, that it would be better if that
individual was NOT immediately showered with "Welcome to the Club"
emails/messages from well-intentioned List members and other Parkies.

Who knows how long it's been since they were diagnosed?  Maybe
they're still dealing with some fear and residual denial, despite
their brave step in
"going public" with their sad news?

How many of us, in attempting to share warm feelings of PD-kinship
and support with  a fellow Parkie and end up actually end up writing
a LOOOOONG message sharing everything about their OWN Parkinson's
history?  Do you REALLY want to do that to someone who has not yet
expressed a desire to connect with the online Parkinson's community?

Can ANY of us in our wildest dreams even BEGIN to imagine the
TREMENDOUS volume of mail a top current celebrity receives on any
day?   For instance, Oprah Winfry claims to average 15,000 messages a
month.

Should we PD List Folks rush right now to email a welcome (Errrrr....
provided ya ever finds that email address, Joan) <grinning> to this
celebrity - whomever they may be - I suspect the
List-member-originated messages will be caught in an avalanche of
sympathetic fan mail, which'll be rapidly sorted by a coupla mailroom
flunkies.  Then the authors of those messages will receive a form
letter of thanks and a machine-autographed 8 by 10 glossy photo of
the celeb.

I'd suggest our List-family make a collective effort NOT to
immediately  bombard this as yet unknown celebrity with any "welcome
to the club," messages or the like for AT LEAST ONE MONTH.

Let the public brouhaha arising from the   initial news spreading out
amongst the Celebes fans run it's natural course.  Let them get over
THEIR email/snail-mail deluge to the celeb, and THEN, and ONLY then
should anyone representing this List or PD, write to the celebrity,
BRIEFLY, and with compassion, letting the celeb know the List is
available for them.

One last thing before I get off my soapbox:  Remember - this is not
about YOU or ME having PD except as it relates to a common bond many
PWPs have for one another... It's about someone ELSE having
Parkinson's.

We should not, in order to come across as a legitimate online
information and support group, all run 'round half-cocked sending
messages.   FIRST think about the person who's just now making a very
public statement about having Parkinson's Disease, and all that THAT
implies.  Restraint is called for on our part because the celebrity
is living THEIR Parkinson's experience, and we are each living ours.
They may NOT be ready to fight for the Udall Bill (and indeed, may
not even be from the USA) or to hear all about someone's pallidotomy,
just because WE are.

Barb Mallut (preparing to duck 'n run when this message gets posted)