After the news of Michael J. Fox having PD was made public a
coupla-three days ago, I surfed a variety of online newspaper's sites
to see what was said about the disease itself.

There were TONS of articles about Fox and how he's made it thru the
past 7 years living with, and battling against PD.   Most articles
were linked to the Web sites representing a wide variety of highly
respected hospitals, movement disorder units, and national agencies
claiming to represent local, regional, national, and international
Parkinson's communities.

I found many of the Web sites carried very similar commentaries about
the disease, treatment, meds, age-of-onset, etc.  Nearly all of those
PD-related sites had not been updated for some time,   The few that
HAD been updated seemed to ADD a bit more NEW information about
PD-drugs, and PD-surgeries, rather than updating the site's already
EXISTING information.

In other words, as Bob D. pointed out in his 11/26/98 post, the PD
information that is disseminated to the general public is NOT sent by
people WITH Parkinson's, and because of that, presumably they don't
feel the same tremendous sense of urgency WE who live with PD feel as
we monitor the sand running out of our  respective personal
hourglass'.  WE know that time is running out for each of us.

Almost without exception the sites that I checked out had
"sugar-coated" the visible and emotional punishment that Parkies AND
their loved ones go thru each day in coping with the huge variety of
PD symptoms, and drug side-effects we experience.

The numbers of currently existing Parkinsonian's, nation-by-nation
and world-wide were grossly down-played as was the potential severity
of the disease.  The majority of  Parkies were ALWAYS referred to as
being over 50 years old, and often  just outright called "elderly."

Excuse me - but _ I _ got MY first, vague Parkinson's symptoms around
age 32!  And I'm meeting more and more PWPs who have had PD symptoms
since they were in their 30s and 40.... 'Baby boomers" with long
lives ahead of them - lives tainted by, and eventually stunted by
this fearful disease.

Read my lips:   PARKINSON'S IS *NOT* an "old person's disease" any
longer!   Not all of us are Michael J. Fox's type of Parkie.  Many of
us live on limited incomes, derived from a varity of sources  -
Social Security  Disability Insurance (SSDI), Medicare, decreasing
savings, alimony, home refinancing, and often MUST rely on financial
and personal-time caregiving and charity from  family and friends.
Along with our loss of financial and personal independence, our human
dignity is slowly whittled away till little or none remains.   What
remains is not a pretty sugar-coated picture.

NOT ONE of the PD-related Web site links I browsed thru painted THAT
kind of scenario as a possibility for the Parkinson's sufferer!

It seems to me that those agencies and medical institutions claiming
to represent persons with Parkinson's of all ages just don't get the
REAL picture!

For many of us, TIME IS RUNNING OUT!  "OUT,* as in GONE!

I strongly urge the assorted Web masters of Parkinson's-related Web
sites to UPDATE your sites!    But, by GOLLY, before you do that, get
the most CURRANT information about PD.

And for goodness sake, STOP sugar-coating that information.  Get REAL
and get HONEST with the general public.  They DESERVE TO KNOW THE
TRUTH about Parkinson's Disease!

Barb Mallut