Gerry,
Something else that is soooo fun.  Social Security Disability has a
rule that if your disability is "fixable", ie you could work after an
operation or with basic medications, you are NOT eligible for
benefits.  And if you are not eligible, you do not get medical help to
get the operation either.
Some fun, huh.  I have had clients with broken backs which
doctors said were "operable" and they would lead "normal" lives
afterwards.  They were denied benefits.  If we can all run down and
get surgery and be ok, then none of us qualifies for disability
benefits.

Marling McReynolds