Hi Hilary,
It would be unprofessional of me to try to second-guess Anne's
physician, who has access to her medical records. It may be there is
more to the problem than the information available to me. However, I'll
offer what information I can, in the hope it will help.

> My friend Anne, who does not hve direct access to a computer has asked me to
> pose this question. Her neurologist recommended her to take 150 mg per day of
> vit B6, for what he diagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrome. THis was on Cot 14.
> Since then, her physical condition has deteriorated; her eyelids are drooping,
> she has difficulty swallowing, her bladder and vocal chords are also affected
> - she has almost lost her voice.

Is she taking the B6 separately from her Sinemet? This large amount
could overwhelm the levodopa absorption, worsening her PD symptoms. I
would ask her neuro how far apart she should take the B6 and levodopa;
possibly bedtime would be a good time to take the B6.

> And the 'carpal tunnel syndrome' has got
> worse and spread to her elbows. She has doubled her sinemet, and when she saws
> him yesterday, he told her to put up the dosage once again. She surmises that
> the B6 is probably to blame - is she correct?

It's possible that the B6 is to blame; but it's also possible, among
other things, that PD symptoms could have worsened due to B6 blocking
absorption. The increase in Sinemet could be causing some extra
conditions, too.

> She has stopped taking it,but
> she wonders if the damage is permanent. and how long it will take her body to
> get rid of it?

I couldn't answer that, as I don't have access to her medical records,
history, etc.
> She plans to seek another neurologist.

I think that's a good idea, particularly a neuro specializing in
movement disorders.

> By the way, she does not
> have regular PD but a condition described as 'dopamine-responsive dystonia" .

I'm not familiar with this diagnosis, so I'm sorry I can't offer any
comments. I will hope that her new neuro will offer a better
pharmacological solution, both to the dystonia and the carpal tunnel
syndrome.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne
--