Gerrry....

This goes back to my comments about how the press, and more
importantly, the major PD organizations, sugar coat the severity, and
the treatment(s) of the disease in virtually all publications and
publicity they present to the general public.

Frankly, I believe the media just takes the information almost
verbatim from the national PD organizations press releases and
regurgitates it all back to the public, which simply reinforces the
sugar-coating.

The PD orgs.  are STILL trying to not SCARE the general public by not
REALLY letting them know how potentially terrible the disease can be,
and the horrendous tole it takes on the PD sufferer and their loved
ones.

This is an OLD-FASHIONED approach to presenting a disease to the
press and the public.   In the PAST this was the common approach.
NOW, however, as we approach the 21st century,  publicity for most
diseases put out by the national organinzations representing them is
very blatant, AND very "in your face!"  And the public GETS the
message!

Today's public hears the WORST about EVERYTHING.  In fact, they
EXPECT to hear the worst!    And the HIV/AIDS organizations, plus the
cancer groups have obliged by not holding back any punches in their
publicity campaigns.  And they ARE getting the big bucks for
research.

These are the diseases that get the majority of public and
governmental funding, because the public is NEVER permitted to forget
how terrible it is on the individual patients and their families.

It's time to STOP sugar-coating publicity about this miserable
disease.  It's time that the general public AND governments
world-wide were made aware of the upcoming PARKINSON'S epidemic which
is going to be full blown as "baby boomers" hit their 40s and 50s.

The world, as it becomes ever more mechanized in the near future,
will be seeing younger and younger people with Parkinson's due to
continued industrialization and environmental causes.

It's time to be HONEST about PD!  The public WILL listen if we will
speak out!  And remember... it's OK if they don't like us... This
Isn't a popularity contest.   We want them to KNOW we're here, and
that will happen if they know the TRUTH about PD.

Barb Mallut (wearing our her soapbox lately) <grin>