I work in the Benefits Department for a large (140,000 employees) U.S.
employer, so I can share some of the rationale for determining disability.
We, and most employers, require the presence of significant objective findings
of disability.  Our benefits book reads:

"Significant objective findings of a disability are necessary to substantiate
the period of time your health care professional indicates you are disabled.
Significant objective findings are those that can be observed by your health
care professional through objective means, not just from your description of
the symptoms.  Objective findings include:

*  Medical examination findings
*  Test results
*  X-ray results
*  Observation of anatomical, physiological, or psychological abnormalities"

If an employer relied solely on subjective findings, someone could simply
claim they have pain, or feel awful, and get health and disability payments
for life.  I believe the above would allow me to receive disability benefits
because my neuro could provide significant objective findings if/when my PD
progresses to the point where I am no longer able to work.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the list.

Keith Chancey 45/14 months
Memphis, TN