From: Bernard Barber,Ph.D. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Date: Saturday, November 28, 1998 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: passing judgment

Gosh Lynda,

I am sure I was looking at a different part of the elephant.
I didn't think or feel Barbara was putting down anybody, but the hype
of
the "News-Entertainment Industry". To suggest otherwise would be to
ignore
the selfless
giving of Barbara to this list and to many activities she commits to
the
Parkinson Community. She is certainly one of my heros, and her
comments did
reflect my own questioning of such "newsworthy material". There is a
part
of the population of Southern California that is not part of the
Entertainment Industry nor do they fall for the P R of that Industry.
I am
sorry your response to Barbara's comments were taken personally. I
think it
took a bit of courage to verbalize your own feelings, So good for you
and
I'm sure Barbara would agree in the encouragement of expression.

However, if one needs to find fault, here it is...she went to UCLA.

At 05:40 PM 11/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Barbara Mallut ­
stage’ PD
>and brain surgery  - Kindly consider getting off your soapbox and
the
>highhorse you rode in on and speak of what you know or otherwise
spare us
your
>opinion!
>
>Yes people have brain surgery, in my case a thalomotomy, even in
early mild
>stage PD.  I feel no need to share with you or the list my reasons
and
risk an
>ignorant, spurious attack.   I know I made the right decision for me
as does
>my family, my 2 neurologists and the neurosurgeon.
>
>As a person in my mid-thirties with PD it’s hard enough trying to
raise a
>family, build a career, and just keep doing what I can to keep a
positive
>outlook and maybe even make the world a better place.
>
>In my opinion, the PD list would be a better place if the whining,
>complaining, bitter people started a separate listserv for feeling
sorry for
>yourselves and for criticizing others.  The rest of us could then
concentrate
>on information sharing and working constructively to beat the menace
PD, not