        Just to set the record straight ... just as we have had some confusion
in the past over the many Barbs on the list, there now seems to be some
over the Lindas.

        I, Linda (with an i) Herman, wrote the  letter about the MJF articles,
quoting the  Reuters source. I understood that the criticism in Barb
(Mallut's) reply was directed to the media and the doctors, not to me.
The "Passing Judgment" letter was written by Lynda (with a y) Redleef,
who apparently interpreted Barb's comments differently. BTW,  Lynda,
thanks coming to my defense  (we  Lindas /Lyndas have to stick together!
:)

        I think this all emphasizes how we can  read the same words, yet react
so differently to them - to each other's letters, to  the Parade article
and now to all the Michael J. Fox publicity. Our reactions are clearly
influenced by our individual experiences with this disease, perhaps even
by our current state of mind when reading the articles, or viewing the TV
programs. I think the outpouring of emotions and opinions over these is a
good  thing, as long as we realize that we will never all agree, and
don't need to agree in our opinions.

        Whatever we think about the way it is being reported, Michael J. Fox's
announcement has opened the door for us. Now  is the  time to to reach
out beyond the list and try to educate the media and the public by
getting our own stories told.  We've had many great suggestions about
ways to do this, and if each of us does what we can, somebody will surely
hear us.

Linda Herman