Chris,

Expect the unexpected.  PD is technically not a disease, but a
collection of symptoms which if they respond to Sinemet are attributed
to low dopamine levels in the brain caused by a death of dopamine
producing brain cells. Since it is not known why the cells die nor do we
have a metric or accurate method for measuring death rate, it becomes
rather
difficult to predict the future any better than a coin toss.

As Charlie pointed out, after long term (very nebulous at to what this
means with PD) Sinemet use and disease progression, it becomes more
difficult to meter the levadopa to alleviate symptoms. You either freeze
from undermedication or have uncontrolled movement from over medication.

The point at which all this occurs can happen three years from diagnosis
or symptoms or twenty-five years from diagnosis or symptoms. There has
been a lot of progress in just the two years since I was diagnosed so I
am optimistic.

Your hubby is on the right track since he is already exercising. Both
tremor and dystonia are very fatiguing and the better his physical
condition, the better he will be able to cope with the symptoms. He
should get an appoinment with a physical therapist for an exercise
regiment best suited to counter his symptoms. Improper use of weights
can actually aggrevate symptoms. Fatigued muscles from PD eventually
lead to poor posture and contribute to problems with balance. An
exercise program which stresses stretching and extending endurance will
be most beneficial.

Just some more data points to help you deal with the uncertainty.

Phil Gesotti

49/46