Hi Chris,

Progression of this illness is quite variable.  I was diagnosed and started
medications including l-dopa at age 44 (I am now almost 54).  I was able to
practice medicine (psychiatry) until about 1 1/2 years ago.  I did
relatively well through about the first 5 years including traipsing around
Europe in 1992 and again in  1995. Dyskinesia- a side effect of l-dopa-
gradually  became more debilitating and limited the dose of l-dopa I could
take. I now however am pretty much confined to a wheel chair.

I think there has been a lot of complaining about the Michael J. Fox
reporting because of the desire to paint a rosy picture for fans and people
in the early stages of the disease.  It is hard enough to face having a
chronic disease without facing all the details immediately.  I think the
press is also wanting to paint a portrait of a disease that is treatable.

People in the public eye understandably want to show themselves as
capable-  just as I did when I was practicing.  Fox didn't want to get out
of his limo tremulous and off any more than the Pope wants to celebrate a
mass  in that condition,  or Janet Reno wants to give a press conference
or  Arafat would choose to meet with Netenyahu.  Most of us try to keep
those bad  times private.  And  we can function leading that kind of double
life for a time.

The problem that develops is that the press gets the idea that PD is not a
severely debilitating illness.  It is important that we get the word out
that PD is a severe illness but we can and do live with it.  and that new
treatments are extending our functional years. (ie RESEARCH PAYS OFF)
There have been some good interviews with nationally recognized PD experts-
Lieberman(CNN), Olanow(NBC), and Fahn(CBS) to name a few who are getting
the message out.  Yes let's correct mistakes but lets not push the press
into painting too bleak a picture of PD.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin