John Q. said....

"The shock made him/her so numb that it was impossible to formulate
any
questions about how the future might be. Later, (s)he boots the
trusty
computer, gets onto the web and reads that life will be living hell
in
ten years."

Speaking only for myself, John... Using your figure of 10 years, I'd
much prefer to know I had PD as soon as my MD knew, rather than try
to continue on with maintaining a pre-PD life/work-style, while the
disease made it's inroads upon my body and mind.

IF I'd originally gone to the MD JUST because I had  some strange
symptoms that disturbed me, and/or IF family and/or friends comments
to me had reinforced my own observations about me having some strange
symptoms, then I'd want to know the cause, and the sooner the better.

IF I'd waited to get a positive diagnosis for a coupla-three years
(out of this 10 year period you've referred to), then that'd be 2 or
3 years LESS I'd have to  1. enjoy the times when I'm still feeling
half-way decent, and
2.  more importantly, I'd have those years to PLAN FOR THE  FUTURE.

While it's easier in the beginning stages of  a chronic disease to to
ignore the future, that future WILL eventually arrive.

IF one hasn't a sound economic and medical base and/or team to work
with them in the early stages,  by the time we and/or our physician
FINALLY concur that there IS a serious medical problem YEARS may have
passed.  Valuable years.....

In my case, it took 7 years to GET a diagnosis 'cause I was 32 when
the first PD symptoms made themselves known. - "You're too young to
have PD, said my MD," and I bought that for a while 'cause in THOSE
days, like everyone else, i believed the MD was next to God.

That, coupled with testing several different drugs, alone and in
combination, and also learning about PD and diet, and just
"learning,"  to live with  the disease itself lost me time.  Time,
that had my MD permitted me to KNOW I had a chronic, degenerative
disease while in the earliest stages - which was when I initially saw
my MD for the symptoms I was experiencing - would have given me
additional years to plan for my future.

Well, m'friend, the future is NOW and it's a LOT harder NOW to
marshall the energy needed to plan and get thru each DAY, much less
each month and year.

I begrudge every year that I lost because my MD refused to tell ME
when *HE* KNEW I had a serious medical condition.  I regret the time
wasted as I stumbled blindly and alone towards the point where I
FINALLY was able to force my MD to come clean on what was going on
with me.

I also feel a sense of loss because I was so utterly alone over the
years while I was losing the "me" I'd always been and began my
evolution to a full-fledged Parkie.  For years I was SO alone with
the disease as it progressed when I COULD have been NOT so very alone
had I known about the List and local support groups years earlier.

So YES, I'd rather I'd known I had PD as early as possible, rather
than live in ignorant bliss.   Tho truthfully, there are times NOW
that I'd like to hide from the disease for a day or two.   Having
Parkinson's gets old mighty fast, doesn't it.... ?

Barb Mallut