hi laurie

you wrote, in part:
>One of the things that I used to find so VERY frustrating
>about receiving the listserv, was that I had to search
>through it to also find my personal mail from family,
>friends, business associates, etc....

OPTION ONE

this problem can be solved by some e-mail software programs;
i use eudora light, which is available free on the internet

it has quite a sophisticated 'filtering' system
for automatically filing or sorting
incoming and/or outgoing e-mail messages
into different 'mail boxes' [i.e. directories or folders],
sight unseen, no effort required
it's quite slick

OPTION TWO

another approach
to tackling the pd listmail volume 'problem'
is to change your subscription settings

from the regular default MAIL setting
which sends you all the mail as individual messages as they come in

to the DIGEST setting
which collects messages [ergo - a slight delay]
and sends them out as one or two or three 'lumps' per day

OPTION THREE

a third option
which may seem insignificant at first
is to change your subscription settings

from the regular default LONGHDR [long headers] setting
which includes all the 'gobble-dee-gook' header lines in each message

to the SHORTHDR [short headers] setting
which only includes only 'human-friendly' header lines

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada