Top signs of depression show gender differences

The Ottawa Citizen: 27 November 1998: Are you a woman almost always disappointed in yourself or are you an irritable man having trouble sleeping? If so, you could be a prime candidate for depression.

American researchers have come up with a list of the top five warning signals for depression that they believe will be of great significance to family doctors.

"We have a straightforward red flag warning system for symptoms of depression", says Cheryl Carmin of the University of Illinois.

"In a health-care system in which primary care physicians increasingly act as gatekeepers to other services, recognition of depressive symptoms may be critical for a patient to reach professional mental health care.

"This is what we believe we have here and I really hope its uncomplicated message will be a useful diagnostic tool for family practitioners."

Ms. Carmin and John Klocek of the University of Montana took 358 consecutive patients at a university-based family practice and asked them to complete an internationally recognized questionnaire designed to earmark signs of depression.

Results pointed to 55 patients showing significant symptoms of depression. The Carmin list was compiled from analysis of those questionnaires.

Here's what they found.

For men and women combined, at least 90% reported suffering from:
     1. - decreased enjoyment of usual activities
     2. - disappointment in themselves
     3. - hopelessness
     4. - irritability
     5. - difficulty sleeping

However, there were distinct gender differences.

Men most frequently reported:
     1. - dissatisfaction with their lives
     2. - sleeping difficulty
     3. - self-criticism
     4. - trouble getting the job done
     5. - fatigue
     6. - irritability

Top of the list among women was:
     1. - disappointment in themselves [ranging from mild unhappiness to hatred]
     2. - irritability
     3. - hopelessness
     4. - dissatisfaction with their lives
     5. - sleep difficulty

Revealing their findings in the latest issue of the International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine, Ms. Carmin and Mr. Klocek write: "This is a means for efficiently identifying individuals who warrant screening for depression that can be readily available to primary care physicians.

"We hope attending to these symptoms during an office visit can serve as an indicator that a thorough screening for depression, or possibly referral, is warranted."

by Richard Starnes
The Ottawa Citizen

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada