Hi Listfriends,

Here's an idea for those out there who like me may be in early stages of
PD, and an idea or two regarding animals. Warning: this message does not
have anything to do with numbers, dates, tv appearances, Michael J. Fox, or
research funding. Proceed at risk.

My son and I have taken up horseback riding on the weekends at a local
stable with an indoor arena, and I find it a really good way to "practice"
balance that has been impaired by Parkinson's. Plus it's great full-body
exercise, believe it or not (you use lots of muscles to balance, signal to
your horse what you want him to do), second only to swimming in that
respect. And horses are such lovely animals that I am invariably in a sweet
and calm frame of mind and body after my hour-long session. And it's not
terribly expensive.

My only problem is shaking leg by the end of the session. Overall, it's a
great experience. We've been at it for a couple months and plan to continue
throughout the winter.

Pets of almost any kind are therapeutic. I find that I am more sensitive to
their presence, in a good way, than I was before PD. And they have things
to teach us. Our three-legged Cocker Spaniel, for example, is amazingly
good-natured and does not appear to be dwelling on the fact that he's
missing a leg. He's too busy chasing balls and sticks! He's an
in-the-moment guy. He has a loving family and enjoys his life.

Take a ride, pet a dog, adopt a cat. They give us a lot in return.

Rick
I was diagnosed in Jan. 1998 and am thinking of adopting a gerbil in 1999.