Reading the zillionth comment on MJ Fox  I found myself wondering how this
list would have reacted if one day a young man calling himself John Fox had
sent a "new to list" message saying exactly what he has been saying to the
news media.

I suspect he would have been welcomed cordially, a few people would have
congratulated him on his positive attitude and that would have been that.

Instead we have analysed his every word and posture in an almost messianic
fervour, as if we were looking to him to lead us to some promised land that
only he can access, and our sense of disappointment at his "failure' to
describe the horrors of PD is almost palpable.

What most of us seem to be missing is that the current media  interest
really has nothing to do with PD per se and everything to do with MJF.  If
PD was the news item the press could have a story every day.  When the
current  furore dies down what people will remember is that MJF has PD, and
that he has a positive attitude (and they'll love him for it).  Assuming
that Mr Fox intends to fulfil his stated intent to help the PD community, a
community of which he is a fully paid up, bona fide member, that positive
perception will go a long way to enhance the already high public profile he
enjoys.  Maintaining that positive attitude whilst at the same time being
ruthlessly honest about the disease is a trick I hope he can learn.
Meanwhile wouldn't our time be better spent learning how to do that
ourselves instead of expecting one man to carry the load for the lot of us.

Dennis

Dennis Greene 49/dx 37/ onset 32

"I am in the hands of the unknown God,
  he is breaking me down to his own oblivion
  to send me forth on a new morning, a new man."
                                                             (D.H. Lawrence)

http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/