On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Stan or Joan Snyder wrote:

> patient & insidious. The nurse at my neuro's office once mentioned going
> to a support group, but we both agreed that it would be
> counter-productive for me to see individuals with full-blown PD. I would
> just get depressed & besides, I wasn't ever going to get that bad! While

Of course this might be different for different people, but in the long
run I don't think that it is counter-productive to meet people and to be
informed. For me, my involvement in the local chapter of the
Neusologically Handicapped People's Union(?!) has meant that I see those
that are much worse off than I am, but who still live relatively good
lives! We can learn much by talking with those who have adapted to living
with a disabling disease.

It is sad when doctors and others at hospitals discourage us from seeing
others who are in our own situation. Even my psychologist hesitated when
I told her that I had joined a support group for neurologically
handicapped. She said that I should be careful not to identify myself
with the disease. BS, I say. (I put it in nicer words, of course ;) but I
went there.)

/John. (29 /28(?) /18)