---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 13:32:47 -0500
From: wojtek dworak <[log in to unmask]>
To: Barbara Patterson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Thank You, Barbara...

Dear Barbara.... The reason I got interested in PARKINSN LIST SERVER
today, is the fact that my beloved step-father, Wieslaw Babicz, has been
diagnosed with Parkinson's about a year ago... He is retired; he had saved
hundreds of people's lives his entire life as a rescue team leader for
coal miners at Zofiowka Coal Mine in Jastrzebie in Poland.

I visit him twice a year flying from Chicago to Poland, and have been
observing his worsening condition. Surprisingly enough, he has been in a
great mood, joking all the time, still able to move about slowly...and his
only visible symptom is the tremor in his left hand. Poland is still a
"socially developing" country and few people speak English. Everything is
based on connections and bribes. Doctors are gossly underpaid, making $300
a month and are not encouraged to learn new skills or English at all.

Wieslaw, however, spent some time in England 20 years ago, and his
English, although ancient, allows him to at least glance at the materials
I send him. He presented them to the doctors, who, obviously cannot do
much due to lack of knowledge, English or material possibilities as well
as the sole motivation to do anything. Basically Wieslaw has been written
off as a redundant nuissance, since he is in his 60's, as Poland became
very young-people-oriented, ruthless and heartless as expected of NEW
post-communist countries with their new-found capitalistic freedom, which
they have simplified solely to the SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. Thus, the
availability of any PD materials in Poland is close to zero. There is some
stuff in Polish on the net which I have all sent to Wieslaw.

Recently (september 98), my mother Irena, who is also retired, has gotten
an extra job as an editor in a firm in Jastrzebie, to offset the cost of
some medication for Wieslaw. (mostly placebo effect, I am afraid) They
happen to have e-mail at that firm.  I have been searching the internet
for articles on PD, sending them via e-mail to my mom as well as
translating some into Polish. I managed to send around 100 pages
altogether by now.

I also recorded the recent TV program about DEEP BRAIN STIMULATION,
transcoded it from NTSC to PAL (european standard video) and send it to
Wieslaw. I am sure he will be impressed with my input, realizing at the
same time, that the cost of DBS will prevent him from getting any of those
wonderful American inventions. But at least he will see that things are
done and nobody is written off, like it is done in Poland for the most
part.

Undeniably, there are doctors in Poland who speak Eglish, who are
up-to-date with PD, but they are only in Warsaw, charge a lot and are
available only to government dignitaries and nuvo-rich businessmen. This
is all I can do for Wieslaw at the moment. Except for sending him good
foreign whiskey from time to time..  I will be looking into some
possibilities of getting him some treatment, as a volunteer test subject
for new medication or procedures, or something of the sort, but I sense it
would be difficult, as he is far away in Poland.

THIS is the reason I subscribed to Your list, Barbara. I want to see if
those possibilities exist, and whether it cane be done....as well as for
new feedback on PD and ways to facilitate his life based on the messages
here. Wieslaw is not expecting any help at all... "just wanted to stop
shaking if possible", he says. Sorry to have taken so much time of yours,
Barbara. I will keep in touch. I would appreciate, if you let me know,
whever such volunteer test subjects from abroad are allowed in those
programs, as i will be looking on my own.

Sincerely Yours,
Wojtek Dworak, Chicago
( I am 40 years old and a software engineer, for your knowledge, Barbara)
I appreciate your letter very nuch.
Persevere...