Hi Rick...

I've gotta agree with ya 'bout horseback riding being an excellent
way to exercise - it's a full-body exercise if there ever was one.
AND it's fun!

As a former horse owner and a trail rider for many years, some of the
most enjoyable times in my life was when I was  riding and "piddling
around" our stabling area, either with the horses (we had three....)
or doing just the routine chores that every horse owner has to do
each day.

Not only is riding's fun and good for one's body, but grooming a
horse, i.e., currying, picking hooves, bathing, exercising, training,
etc., never seemed like work to me, even tho it was a never-ending,
day-by-day chore.   I found grooming the horses and maintaining our
stable area to be thoroughly relaxing.  There was nothing more
peaceful than perching on top of the corral after a day of riding and
working around the stabling area, then watching the horses much away
at their feed.  Even cleaning and oiling tack engendered a
comfortable relaxed feeling.

My whole family rode - even tho my "ex (we were still married then),
was initially scared to death to even get NEAR a horse.   But as our
2 daughters began riding daily with each other or with me, he kinda
felt left out.  He started taking riding lessons, and was surprised
to find that not only did he have fun, but had a natural aptitude for
riding (he always was  naturally athletic).

I'd love to ride regularly now - once a week, or even once a month -
but not only are all the livery stables further away than I can
comfortably drive now, the cost for horse rental is Los Angeles is
anywhere from $20 to 35 an hour.   Way too costly for me.....

As for pets being therapeutic, I'd definitely have to agree.  My 2
cats, Buzzy (the world's oldest juvenile-delinquent-kitty!) <he's
SOOO mischievous!> and Scooter (who would spend all day, every day,
sitting on my lap and purring away as we discussed the news of the
day with each other <smile> Uhhh... she also likes being petted at
that time).

Them kitties are SO good at being "therapeutic," that I bet either
could get a degree as a therapist! <smile>

One last thing, Rick.... a GERBIL? <grin>

Barb Mallut

But REALLY,