hi john

At 09:12 1998/12/04 -0800, you wrote:
>Second the "default for new subs at Digest".
>Is the "Digest" threaded before compiling.
>Might make it easier for newbie to follow
>along and get the hang of it.

i don't know why the defaults are set the way they are
barb patterson knows the answer to that

the digest is not threaded by subject, only by date,
it does, however, have an index at the beginning
listing message topics along with
the numbers of messages relating to same

e.g.
1. tv-ready-crew [10 messages]
2. perry como [75 message]
3. MJF [53 messages] .... etc

my two cents' worth:

i understand that the influx of individual messages
might be a tad intimidating to some new list-members
who may be brand new 'netizens' as well,
although they can't be that 'green' to the internet
if they are computer-savvy-enough
to be able to subscribe
to a mailing list

however,
i also understand that most 'pointers' out there describing our list
also make another point of describing the e-mail volume
so theoretically
the volume on the list should not be a surprise

some people prefer the individual message format to the digest format
because they find it easier to reply to

some people use the filter options on their e-mail program

some people use their delete key liberally

to each our own

i cannot see the volume as a 'problem'
whether there are 30 messages in one day or in one hour
whether they are all about pd or not
whether they are all about snake oil or not

they reflect the living breathing organism
which is this cyber-family

we are not a corporation bound by company rulebooks and standards
we are not a school bound by a curriculum and exams

we are part of a new frontier of democracy
where each one of us has
the same opportunity to be heard as everyone else
and
the same right to speak as everyone else

personally
i find it awe-inspiring just as it is

your cyber-sibling

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada