Well put, Robin.  I'll try to take a role in this, too.

Carole Cassidy

-----Original Message-----
From: Parkinson's Disease Foundation [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 1998 4:34 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list PARKINSN
Subject: Re: our information network

Re: Julius Margolis' Query About Information Re: PD -Related Media Events

Mr. Margolis' point is well taken.  We at PDF did know about the MSNBC
program, and provided some help in the early stages by making referrals to
doctors at Beth Israel, NYU and Columbia (none of whom theyb used, as it
turned out!) but did not put the story out on the Net.  We should have, and
apologize for neglecting to do so.  You should appreciate that the main
flurry
of PR activity on the Michael Fox storry (and there was a lot of it!) was on
Wednesday--the day before Thanksgiving, with offices closing early all over
the city, doctors becoming scarcer and scarcer ... you can imagine.   We at
PDF were overwhelmed with calls by mid-afternoon and I am sure the same was
true at the other organizations.

Given these circumstances, I would like to point for a minute to the part of
the glass that is "half-full."  There has in fact been a fair amount of
information via ListServ on media response to the Fox announcement, from PD
organizations but even more important, from observant individual
listfriends.
Everyone knows about the forthcoming 20-20 piece on Friday, yes?  And the
super segment on young-onset, in which the community was very ably
represented
by Susan Reese of the APDA in Chicago (congratulations again, Susan!), was
both splendid AND well-advertised.

I 'll try to do my part at PDF in "getting the word out" better.  The rule
of
thumb for all of us when we hear about something coming up: assume no-one
has
heard anything.  Then all we'll get is too MUCH information (always better
than too little!)

Thanks again to Mr. Margolis for the plea.

robin elliott, exec dir, pdf