Hilary Blue wrote:

> . . . he was not out there representing the PD community. He was
> out there to tell his own story, and I think he did that very well -
> and as an extra bonus, he has given the PD community some publicity.
> No, he didn't tell the whole story - but that is not his story, its
> my story and your story, and we have to tell it.If and when he
> aligns himself with our community, then he should speak on our
> behalf - and then we would have the right to criticize him. But
> right now he is out there, on his own, . . .

The one community we all belong to is the human community and we have
no choice about that.  I believe, and perhaps most would agree, that
membership confers certain general obligations to help others in
need when called upon and when we are able to do so.  What this
means in particular cases is sometimes clear, sometimes not.
Example of a clear case: you see someone badly injured  -- you call
for the ambulance.

I'm not sure how the general obligation applies in the case of
celebrities with diseases, and I would be interested to hear some
discussion of questions like these:

1) Just to confirm the premise -- is it agreed that there is a
general obligation to help others in need when called upon and when
we are able to do so?

2) Does being a celebrity or having some other position of social
prominence confer upon one any special or increased obligations in
this regard, since by being in such a position one is thereby better
able to give help?

3) Does just having PD obligate one to help others with the same
condition?

4) Then what if one is a celebrity with PD?

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 60/dx 1990