Thanks, Barb Brock for a thoughtful perspective on the MJF issue. I totally
agree that he handled the interview, and his PD, is a way that is
appropriate to *his own* situation.  That is a special situation, and one
that we may envy but can't  experience.  He does not face the problems many
PWPs face, even though the possible progression of the disease( which is so
variable) is something he does face. He sounds like one of us in the "one
day at a time school of thought", doesn't he?  And like a PWP who wants to
keep his job---lots of company there---what's surprising about that? Janet
Reno wants to keep on being Atty.General, and we're not jumping on her,
even though she has been very close-mouthed about her PD.  I'm not sure
just what some folks hoped he would say.....but he seems to be *coping* in
his own way, and that has included going public, which is a good first
step. Let's see where he goes from here---which is up to him, of course.
And BTW, I was not  "devastated" either when Peter was diagnosed---in part
because that's not my style, in part because I then had little knowledge of
PD in it's later stages. Maybe that's true for Tracy Pollan too?

Barb wrote in part:
>Dear list friends,
>
>I attended the PAN Forum last June and was heartened by what I heard there.
>I, too, expect a cure, and for those of you who have not seen this post
>before, I will include it here.  Dr. Bill Langston, author of The Case of the
>Frozen Addicts, head of the Parkinson's Institute in Sunnyvale, CA, and a
>truly wonderful man spoke to me and countless others personally and indicated
>that they are truly so close.  He had hoped it would be by the end of this
>decade.  The scientists are doing all they can.  We must do our part which is
>to keep the pressure up on our legislators and on NIH.  Here goes.
SNIPPED
>Michael J. Fox has every reason to hope.  If there were none, why would we be
>praying that a famous person would come out and talk about it?  We all know
>that it is a "designer" disease (very individual for each person).
SNIPPED
>I look at your letters and see you doing this every day.  How can we be
>disappointed that our favorite boy next door actor is doing the same!  That he
>chooses to focus on what he does have left and to live in the now is a gift.
>I wish it were contageous!  I could use it from time to time.  That he is
>still able to work (and I firmly believe that he works hard just to work, just
>as so many of you are doing whether in out in the world of competitive
>employment or in the home, just trying to get clothed), is commendable.
>Let's look at his situation.  He is the one of us to "gets to have and deal
>with" PD before the eyes of millions!  I can't imagine my husband, as much as
>I admire him, as strong and wonderful as I think he is, doing this.  I can't
>imagine being interviewed by Barbara Walters.
SNIPPED
>Now when we think of the rosy picture he painted, we've got to remember that
>this man is an actor.  This is what he does.  This is why we love  and know
>him.  He has gotten the message out.  People all over the world realize that
>young people, too, can get it, and that it can be serious enough to drive them
>to have brain surgery.
SNIPPED

>us.  It makes us problem solvers, makes us reach out!  What choice do we have?
>And what other choice did MJF have than to do what he did on 20-20, Dateline,
>in the operating room, at the Golden Globe Awards, etc.?  Just like the rest
>of us, he's just doing the best he can.
>
>Sincerely,
>Barb Brock

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 80/70/55
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for
                        Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "