You are right, Charlie, and that is what I meant in my note.  I watched the
hearings and it seemed they were trying to get a new interpretation of the ban
so funds could be appropriated for NIH to study this.  They talked about the
fact that private firms could do this research but that they would only do it
for diseases where they could get results more easily and for diseases that
had a large population to benefit so they could profit from their work.  Of
course we all know several people who have had fetal tissue transplants here
in this country but at private facilities.  NIH has not been allowed to
participate in this research because of the ban.
Barbara Smith,cg/Ken/70/17