---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 01:43:33 -0500
From: Bruce Warr <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Research

Dear Barbara,

I wanted to run this by you first.  If you think it is okay, go ahead and
forward it to the listserv.

====================== CUT HERE ==========================

My Research Proposal

1.  I will be doing research on online support communities for my
dissertation. An online support community is defined as a group of people
using the Internet to communicate with each other concerning a specific
topic that affects their lives.  The goals of the research will be to:

a.   Identify the various media used to communicate (e.g. Chat rooms,
listservs, etc.).
b.   Establish metrics to measure the effectiveness of communications.
c.   Design a user interface which will provide an effective and efficient
method of communicating.

I would like to use the Parkinson's Disease online support groups in my
study.

2.  The initial phase would consist of examining messages passed among group
members.  They will be categorized as to content types, such as empathetic,
informative, empirical, etc. At the same time, group members would be asked
to volunteer to take a survey to establish a statistical model of the
members of the group.  They would also be asked to take usability surveys to
determine those features of the present communications media that they like
and those that they don't like.

3.  The second phase would be to analyze all the data from phase 1 to
determine any existing relationships between elements and how they affect
each other.

4.  The final phase would be to use the data and analysis to develop an
effective and efficient interface which would then be installed for use by
the group members.

NOTES:

1.  As much as possible, I will use existing communications channels (i.e.
the listservs, the IRC channel, etc.)  If any changes need to be made, I
will coordinate with the person (s) who established that channel.

2.  Names will not be used with surveys requesting personal information.
The data will be used only to establish the demographics of the group.

3.  I hope to initiate phase 1 within a couple of months.

Sincerely,

Bruce
57/10
Sinemet, Mirapex, and Tasmar

Bruce G. Warr, Ph.D. (C)                | (V)410-455-3206
Information Systems Department          | (F)410-455-1073
University of Maryland Baltimore County | [log in to unmask]
* I am because I choose to be *         | http://umbc.edu/~warr