Dear Gisela--- do you want me to edit this post which you have already
sent?  It is really a little bit confusing.....I will make some suggestions
as best I can.  If you want to repost it then, that's fine with me.
Suggested changes are in  {   }
***********

>            FRIEND OF THE CHILDREN AND LEVERS

{I don't understand "levers"--do you mean "lovers"? }

>            Nikolaus lived in {the 4th}century in today's Turkey.{His}
>grave can be
>            visited in the Myraer church, in which  {he} served as a bishop.
>            {About} St. Nikolaus, {who} is { the} friend of  children and
>{lovers?},
>            many legends {have been} told.

             THE FOLLOWING  2 SENTENCES ARE NOT CLEAR:
             Pupils,      whom a cash-greedy host had  killed,   it is to
have shown the life.
               {He} threw three gold lumps into a room, in order to prevent
that poor daughters must  earn
themselves  outer-expensively on the road.

>            Because the gold lumps fell by a fire-place directly into the
>socks
>            of the women, the custom developed to place its {
>deseamed--this is not an English
         word }   shoes
>            before the door or to hang a sock to the fire-place around the
>turn of the century.
>            In the Berchtesgadener country,  Nikolaus  {is accompanied} by
>farmhands
>            Ruprecht and Bertha (Nikoloweibl). In some areas{ St.}
>Nikolaus {secretly brings the decorated
>       Christmas tree  in the house on Christmas Eve. }

>            Greetings
>Gisela
>40/3
I do not want to offend you--but if you want to send me such a post BEFORE
you send it to the list, I will edit it for you-- most of them are pretty
understandable even  if not perfect English, so it is up to you.
your friend, Camilla