I am not embarrassed to be on this list. I'm not sure I see the lack of
compassion either. What I do see is a heathy cautiousness of the media,
including the public relations department of ABC. Michael Fox's Spin City
is product of that network. What I read is the desire of list members to
have PD shown in a very real light. Most of the membership, I believe,
see Muhammad Ali as more realistic in presentation, and I suspect is more
like most members in experiencing the destructiveness of Parkinson's. As
I read the postings, most folks are appreciative of his revelation, which
Mr. Fox indicates is predicated by the fear that it would be revealed by
others than himself, and that he is bring attention to the disease. I
also perceive that most PWP do not complain of being in the early
manageable stages of&nbsp; PD, however when the road gets rutted and very
difficult to manage does the terrible reality of Parkinson's come to
fore. I think, it is that REALITY that most list members want understood
and addressed. They want that from their doctors, from their elected
officials, from the insurance companies, from the social security
administration, and from their communities to name a few. There are many
variations of early themes of Parkinson but far less as the road
continues to narrow. Len and Hilary, I have only been a member for 3
years, and folks have expressed some very strong opinions, including
myself, but the absence of compassion has not been one that I have
experienced, nor have I seen it. Now I may be upset when my friend George
Lussier, the original PWP bareback horse rider, wants to ride rodeo
bulls, and I may question the rational of such desire, I
&quot;think&quot; I may even understand, and I have some very strong
negative feelings about him doing this, and honestly I may not have much
compassion, on this one, but I'm not sure I would tell him that it is one
of the most idiotic activities he can do. <br>
I hope I have offered a different perspective on this issue, and yes, I
have been thrown, bitten, kicked and knocked off a horse or two, and
maybe I'm sitting differently, as may my perspective be.<br>
At 12:21 PM 12/5/98 -0800, you wrote: <br>
=A0<br>
negative judgments shown by a number of members on this list.=A0 Who are we
to sit in judgment of Michael J. Fox?=A0 We tell the world that each case
of Parkinsons is unique.=A0=A0 We, more than other people, should understand
this.=A0 Each of us faces this challenge in our own way, in our own time.
Together we have the power to do much good, but not when we undermine one
another.=A0 We support the thoughtful and informed sharing of opinions, but
let's do so with our hearts open.=A0 If we thought that Michael J. Fox and
his wife were reading this list, we'd be </font><font size=3D2>embarrassed
=A0<br>
Len (62/4) and Hilary Zunin<br>
<BR>