On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Barb_MSN wrote:

> Speaking only for myself, John... Using your figure of 10 years, I'd
> much prefer to know I had PD as soon as my MD knew, rather than try
> to continue on with maintaining a pre-PD life/work-style, while the
> disease made it's inroads upon my body and mind.

Of course! This is not the point I'm trying to make.
I too want quick and accurate information, but I am trying to say that
this info MUST be balanced enough not to take away the hope of a
good/slow progression of the disease. As I said in my last letter to the
list; only when I have all the information, good and bad possibilities, I
can decide how to live my life.

The information I have recieved from you, my dear list-family, has helped me
realize that I must live NOW if I want to minimize the risk of becoming a
bitter man in a nursing-home. The support we give each other can help us
to live a better, fuller life in spite of a frightening disease that
takes away our body-control.

> In my case, it took 7 years to GET a diagnosis 'cause I was 32 when
> the first PD symptoms made themselves known. - "You're too young to
> have PD, said my MD," and I bought that for a while 'cause in THOSE
> days, like everyone else, i believed the MD was next to God.

I've filed a formal complaint against my old MD because she gave the
wrong diagnosis of MS two years ago. I was probably too young for PD...
I know exactly what you are talking about. I wouldn't have known about
the error if I hadn't gone to the university hospital and volunteered for
a MS study. The scientist/doctor I met said that he had never seen an MS
patient with my symptoms...

> I also feel a sense of loss because I was so utterly alone over the
> years while I was losing the "me" I'd always been and began my
> evolution to a full-fledged Parkie.  For years I was SO alone with
> the disease as it progressed when I COULD have been NOT so very alone
> had I known about the List and local support groups years earlier.

Exactly. I addressed this in my previous post. It is important to inform
newly diagnosed people about support groups, something that some MD:s
won't do.

/John. (29/ diag28(?)/ onset 18)