In a message dated 12/5/98 9:34:34 AM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 > it really is!  Instead, we have a really nice guy who "had" an unfortunate
 > and "rare" bout with Parkinsons (now mostly corrected by skilled neuros)
 > whose current symptoms are of no big deal.  As "Access Hollywood" said this
 > same evening:  "He has (M.J.F.) such a good attitude and He looks great".
 > And as Michael stated "life is so good"...........et cetera.  Was that
 > Barbara Walters or Tony Robbins with a blond wig?  I'm going to get up
 > tomorrow and sell my Porsche!  Put me on that list for some o dat.......>
 > brain surgery!  It's kind of like the movie
"Pleasantville"............where
 > everything is La de da......de da!

I agree in part. The correct answer to the question "How are ya?  is "fine."
We gotta help this guy avoid the news media's constant pressure to "fineize"
things.

If not careful,  he could become a victim of the "Brave boys don't bleed"
syndrome. That is, if one is brave enough, then cuts don't bleed, pain doesn't
hurt, and everything is all right ("fine").

Courage("bravery") is something exhibited by someone who has a choice and
stays with an uncomfortable or dangerous  situation.  Sorry folks, what we
have is tolerance or maybe  even patience, but just living with something  we
cannot escape is not bravery.

So watch your back when someone starts being too complementary or talking
about how brave you are.  Often it is done for the speakers reasons.
Acknowledging bravery or other compliments can replace more positive things as
acceptable helping..  That is when  facing something they don't understand,
normal persons can sometimes feel like they are doing something for the
sufferer by saying he/she is soooo brave. For some reason, this makes ignorant
non-sufferers feel better.  That's worse than insulting.  It's not helpful.
Fortunately, ignorance is fixable

PD sucks.  However, one day at a time ,sometimes there can be great days.
'Tis a fine line we walk between whining and bragging to publish the truth.
Being "too brave" is a trap.

Regards,
WHH 55/38/37