>I just thought that I would bring you up to date on Dorothy (my mother
>in law) A few weeks ago I put in some questions about numbing and I only
>got one response.  So I don't know if this is just not common or what.
>Anyway, I took her to the doctor here and he is having her go into the
>hospital for an in-out visit to get some tests done.  They want to do a
>sonogram on her neck to check for TIA, which I found stands for
>transient ischemic attack.  The doctor is concerned that it might be
>prestroke warnings.

A TIA indicates that there is insufficient circulation to some portions of
the brain bringing about 'stroke-like' symptoms.  Sometimes TIAs are a
pre-stroke events - they signal that a stroke will occur soon.

An ultrasound of the carotid arteries is done to determine if there is any
blockage due to the buildup of plaque (or cholesterol).  If such a blockage
is present then there are methods of treatment ranging from removal of those
plaques through clearing the arteries during arteriography to removing a
portion of one, or both, of  the carotid arteries  and replacing them with a
Dacron graft.  For obvious reasons, grafts are done on one carotid artery at
a time.

Numbness experienced on one side of the body usually signals arterial brain
disease (hardening or blockage of the arteries of the brain) which can, but
does not necessarily, lead to a stroke.
-------
Hope this helps
Mary Ann Ryan RN