HI Wendy,

Sure there are problems in the traditional medical system (especially in health
care delivery)  But the current system also opens itself up to be challenged and
questioned.  The fact that these questions are being asked- both ethical and
scientific- demonstrate the strength of the scientific method.  If data is found
to be gathered through means that has a built-in bias or or other defective
methodology that system will be modified.  It is imperfect but to me infinitely
preferable to the word of a Shaman or even a thousand year tradition. I think it
is reasonable to test traditional medical remedies scientifically.  I think it
is likely that a number of the remedies will be found to be safe and effective,
while a far greater number will be ineffective and a few will be downright
dangerous.

Wendy- I think the story that you are gloating over shows the strength of the
scientific method. BTW isn't tobacco a traditional remedy?

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin