From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Federal Funding for Stem Cell Research
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 12:44:10 EST

Thank you very much for your November 23 letter.  I was excited to learn i=
the letter of your key role regarding the research priority-setting proces=
s at
the NIH.  It is the reason why I am writing you today.

On December 2, Dr. Harold Varmus, Director of the NIH, told a Senate heari=
ng
of the vast potential research with human embryonic cells holds.  It was
widely reported in the media that these "stem cells" could possibly be
cultivated into nerve and brain cells to treat Parkinson=92s disease which=
 I was
diagnosed with in September 1997.  When asked by Senator Spector how long =
it
would be before treatments using the cells might be available, two other
scientists estimated anywhere from 5 to 12 years.  Unfortunately, the NIH
cannot fund any of this research unless the federal ban on financing embry=
research is lifted.

I understand there are difficult ethical questions involved with this subj=
ect.
The notion of using aborted fetuses for scientific research is abhorrent t=
many citizens.  However, Dr. Varmus said the stem cells can=92t be conside=
red
organisms and they can=92t be considered embryos, so the matter requires s=
pecial
consideration.  I hope for the sake of all who could benefit from the
potential promise of stem cell research that some compromise can be made i=
good conscience and federal funds are made available for this research.

Senator Frist, this is a critical juncture in Parkinson=92s research.  The=
 Udall
Act provides a significant increase in federal funding for Parkinson=92s
research.  The recent announcements regarding stem cell research and its
tremendous potential for, among other things, treating Parkinson=92s disea=
se are
exciting to everyone suffering from this terrible disease.  If current law=
continue to prohibit federal funds from being used to finance stem cell
research, the cure for Parkinson=92s disease will be delayed indefinitely.
Please don=92t let this happen.

Sincerely,

Keith Chancey
3008 Iroquois Road