Marjorie,
I am so sorry for you.  I cannot imagine exactly how you feel but know you
are in much pain.  I have lost pets through the years but the last two were
my most precious.  Both Lhasa Apsos, "husband and wife", Dudley and
Slippers.  Dudley went first in 1993 and I have not experienced a more
dreadful hurt that I can remember.  I am crying now just writing this and
thinking about him, although time has healed where, for many months,  I
didn't think it was possible.  I had him put to sleep because he was having
such a hard time breathing and was so miserable.  I'll never forget the way
he looked at me and whined just before the Vet put the needle in.  It was
terrible and I have always wondered if I did the right thing and swore I
would not do it again.
Slippers had a bad heart and, three years later, she died in my arms in
night.  I had done everything for her for over a year and knew she was happy
till the very end.  It was very hard but was easier than losing Dudley.  I'm
glad I let her live as long as she wanted to.
We still have Jim, their son and now a little one-eyed Lhasa mix to keep him
company.  Sometimes I find myself tearing up when I'm holding him and
thinking about when he will have to go.   I'm comforted, however,  in
knowing they've all had and the very best home we can provide and all the
love they can stand.    :)
Thank goodness your little one didn't suffer.  If there's a silver lining,
that's it, I guess.  You are lucky to still have the other.  If you wish to
talk off list, please write.
Love and best wishes,
Sharon Starr, Daughter and CG for Rae  74/50/45  Florence, AZ