Bob-

I think that orientation is necessary and agree with it as a part of the
requirements. This committee must be able to look at the entire mission
of NIH.  While one might be a representative for PD in the sense of
wanting PD to get its fair share it would be grossly unfair to not look
at the whole budget and health research priorities.  I think that is
what happened to us before and necessitated the Udall Act. While I
fervently support the Udall Act it is a failure of NIH that it was
needed at all.  It is our self interest not to need to put our energies
into fighting for equity in research funds  with other diseases and
instead put our energy into educating ourselves and the public about PD.

The struggle for the committee member is the same as that of the Senator
who is challenged with the choice of whether to support an clearly
unneeded military base in his state.  Is he a statesman and vote for
what is right for the country or is he a representative of the economic
interests solely of his state and vote for the pork barrel.  It
certainly isn't easy but what is necessary  is clear.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin