It's been a few months since the last update to the ongoing diary of the "pig-
cell"
implant surgery.  I am happy to say that it has been a very busy (and
exciting) time.
Here is a basic, year-end review of what's been going on.

First (and most importantly) the examinations and tests continue to indicate a
general lessening of PD symptoms.  Computer-generated graphs and charts of
motor skills are statistical proof of this.  Timed and video-taped activities
are also
evidence that gains are being made.  Fatigue, which has always been very
difficult
to cope with, is somewhat less of a factor.  Sleeping, on the other hand, has
gotten
better.  My appetite has improved and, as always, sweets continue to be a
favorite.
Dyskinesia is less of a bother.

Of considerable significance is the fact that there have been no problems with
any of
the blood work which has been performed.  The fear that an unknown virus could
be
transmitted from pigs to humans has, thus far, proven groundless.

Over the course of the past year, I have had a small role in the considerable
publicity this research project has received.  Indeed, I've been interviewed
by CBS's
"60 Minutes," PBS's "HealthWeek," and Nine Network's "60 Minutes - Australia."
Additionally, articles have appeared in "The Boston Globe," Holland's "Vrij
Nederland" magazine, and various PD-related newsletters both here and abroad.

Speaking of overseas, I was even well enough to go on a 2-week tour of Russia
this
past July.  It was both exhausting and exhilarating.  A journey like this
would not
have been possible before the surgery.

Finally, it is important to understand that I do not feel as though I am
"cured."  BUT I
am considerably better and am proof that this study may go far in unlocking
the
secrets of this scourge we know as Parkinson's Disease.

For those of you who may not have read the original diary, you may request a
copy
of it by writing directly to my E-Mail address.  It will be sent as an
attached text file.

Regards -

Jim Finn

Entire contents copyright James C. Finn