Charles T. Meyer, M.D. wrote:

> The real issue is how did it happen that PD research got so under
> funded and to make sure it doesn't happen again to us or another
> "disease group".  My worry is what power to change things will this
> group have. Will it be merely a group to be used to pacify the stir
> in congress about i.e. earmarking etc. or will it be listened to in
> some meaningful way.

I gather from the writeup of the NIH 9/23/98 meeting on
public participation
(http://www.nih.gov/news/NIH-Record/10_20_98/story01.htm) that COPR
is supposed to provide input to the priority setting process. There
are indications some of the participants at that meeting were
interested in improving the process itself.

Also, I see references to existing channels of public input -- e.g.,
advisory boards, public liaison offices --  that we might use or use
better.

Phil Tompkins