Anxious mice lack serotonin receptor

December 8, 1998

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) -- Genetically engineered mice that lack a certain
type of brain receptor for the chemical serotonin become timid and anxious,
hugging the side of their cage, avoiding new objects and spending more time in
the nest than exploring, according to a new study.

In other tests, the animals acted as if they had been treated with
antidepressant drugs, showing more activity when faced with a stressful
situation, according to California researchers who developed a breed of mice
that lacked the serotonin receptor 5-HT1A.

The finding may shed light on how serotonin affects human anxiety and
depression, as well as help determine how psychiatric drugs affect human
emotion, according to the report in the December 7th issue of the Proceedings
of the National Academy of Sciences.

There are 14 different receptors that bind serotonin in the brain, but many
antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs are non-specific and affect many
different serotonin receptors.

"If we understood which of the serotonin receptor subtypes contributed to
these antidepressant and anxiety-reducing effects, then we might be able to
develop more selective drugs with improved effectiveness and fewer side
effects." said senior author Dr. Laurence H. Tecott of the University of
California, San Francisco in a statement issued by the university.

SOURCE: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 1998;95:15049-15054.