Copy of letter sent to senator spector and all members of his committee
holding hearings on stem-cell research.

Dear Senator

I am writing to you in support of  lifting the ban on the Federal
funding of stem-cell research.

I am a 53 year old physician currently receiving social security
disability  (as well as private insurance) and confined to a wheelchair
with Parkinson's Disease.  I ask that you consider my views as a
physician, a person with Parkinson's Disease and as a (former) taxpayer.

Recent breakthroughs in stem-cell  research offer almost unlimited
possibilities for the treatment of many of our most serious and
disabling illnesses.  Because of a ban on Federal funding of this type
of research,   Nobel-prize quality work such as that of Dr. Thomson  at
the University of Wisconsin  has needed to be privately funded   Failure
to finance this research is certain to slow the development of this
cutting-edge technology in the US  and with it,  the possibilities for
life-saving cures for Diabetes, Parkinson's Disease, Spinal Cord injury
and other illnesses.

While I understand the issues leading to the prohibition of the research
are not financial, the fiscal benefits of cures being found for some of
these diseases would be significant. As an example, if If I were not
disabled I would not be receiving over $xxx  a year in Social Security
Benefits and in addition I would be paying $xxx  a year in taxes which I
don't pay.

I do respect the objections of certain individuals concerning the ethics
of such research but  my understanding is that the cell-line that Dr.
Thomson developed is from the product of an in vitro fertilization (tet
tube) undertaken for the purpose of having a child.  The embryo was left
over and would have been discarded if it had not been used for this
purpose.

With stem-cell technology even more than other fetal cell use, the
charge that the use of this technology is "murder" is patently absurd
and if that word is to be thrown around it could better be applied to
those who impede the development of this potentially life-saving
bio-technology.

I clearly recognize that there are ethical issues which need to be
discussed and monitored.  But wouldn't it be better accomplished in the
ethics committees mandated by Congress to review the research as a
condition of funding rather than counting on the moral values of
corporate funders of the research to put morality over profit?

Also, ironically,  since certain fetal research is not banned and
stem-cell research will likely make most of that research obsolete,
funding this research would almost certainly decrease the use of aborted
fetuses for medical research purposes.

Please lift the ban and get this important work funded.

I thank you for your time in considering my opinions and observations.

Sincerely yours,

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
3315 Prairie Glade Rd.
Middleton, Wisconsin 53562