Hi Barb,
And thanks for the kind words.,   I don't remember exactly what I had said but I
may have reflected my feelings rather than the facts.  It is entirely possible
that a person has the right not to be medicated and go through their Social
Security Exams untreated.  It seems unfair to me since a person taking meds can
function quite well in the early stages of PD.  Most of us have gone through that
honeymoon. Of course it can (and more often does) work in the reverse..  People
look good during their exams and the OFF times are not considered.

I have seen private insurance companies demand more aggressive treatment for
patients that I was treating even though I didn't recommend it because I honestly
did not feel it would help and on top of it the patient's health insurance
wouldn't pay for it anyway.  A real Damned if you do and damned if you don't
situation for the patient and for me.  It took one of my strongly worded letters
to get an apology and keep the patient's benefits coming.

It is a difficult question with no easy answer.

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin