hi charlie

At 11:17 1998/12/11 -0600, you wrote:
>LISTFRIENDS:
>I have been asked by a former listmember, who is a physician and PWP in
>Rome Italy to post the question on the list whether anybody knows any
>references or has had personnal experience with PD while being
>pregnant.  I will forward all responses to him.

i did a preliminary dig at PubMed at:
<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed/>

Mov Disord 1998 Jan;13(1):175-6
Selegiline, pregnancy, and Parkinson's disease.
Kupsch A, Oertel WH
Charite Virchow Clinic, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
No abstract available.
PMID: 9452347, UI: 98112726

Mov Disord 1998 Jan;13(1):34-8
Pregnancy in Parkinson's disease:=20
a review of the literature and a case report.
Hagell P, Odin P, Vinge E
Wallenberg Neuroscience Center, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden.
Abstract: Pregnancy is rare in Parkinson's disease (PD). In the literature=
 on studies of antiparkinsonian drugs in animals during pregnancy, there are=
 reports on malformations of the skeletal and circulatory system. However,=
 the majority of studies in animals have not shown any teratogenicity.=
 Amantadine has been teratogenic in rats and selegiline has caused=
 neurochemical and behavioral alterations in rats when coadministered with=
 clorgyline. The published experience with humans consists of 35 pregnancies=
 among 26 women suffering from PD, including this report, and a number of=
 cases treated with antiparkinsonian agents for other reasons. With the=
 exception of the majority of the cases where amantadine was used,=
 complications have been rare. However, there are indications that suggest a=
 possible risk of a woman's parkinsonism worsening in connection with=
 pregnancy. We also report the case of a woman with PD who was treated with=
 L-dopa-benserazide during an uncomplicated pregnancy and gave birth to a=
 healthy boy without experiencing any worsening of her PD.
PMID: 9452323, UI: 98112702

Ugeskr Laeger 1991 Apr 22;153(17):1210-1
[Pregnancy and Parkinson disease].
[Article in Danish]
Tobiassen C, Brasso K, Kohler OM
Amtssygehuset i Roskilde, gynaekologisk-obstetrisk afdeling, Denmark
Abstract: Parkinson's disease rarely occurs in women of the fertile age. A=
 case in a woman aged 42 is reported. The diagnosis of Parkinson's disease=
 was established three years before her second pregnancy. Medicinal=
 treatment with antiparkinson drugs during pregnancy is briefly discussed.
PMID: 2028535, UI: 91228265

J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 1990;19(4):461-3
[Parkinson disease and pregnancy. Apropos of a case].
[Article in French]
Jacquemard F, Palaric JC, Allain H, Giraud JR
Service de Gynecologie-Obstetrique A, Hotel-Dieu, Rennes, France
Abstract: Parkinson's disease is a neurological condition associated with=
 neuronal degeneration in the corpora nigra with a drop in the level of=
 dopamine in the striatum. It is rarely encountered in women of reproductive=
 age. Treatment is by giving levodopa. We report a case of pregnancy in a=
 woman of 34 years of age who was suffering from severe Parkinson's disease=
 treated with levodopa. We have assessed this case in the light of viewing=
 the literature which confirms that there is no effect on the pregnancy or=
 on the fetus although the symptoms of Parkinson's disease are made worse.=
 Levodopa seems to be quite innocuous as far as the fetus is concerned.=
 There is no teratogenicity although in animal experiments high doses=
 teratogenic effects have been noted.
PMID: 2199565, UI: 90338678

Neurology 1987 Jul;37(7):1245-9
Parkinson's disease and pregnancy.
Golbe LI
Abstract: In an effort to study the interaction of pregnancy and Parkinson's=
 disease (PD), I interviewed 18 women who had had a total of 24 pregnancies=
 after onset of PD symptoms. Conception occurred at mean age 34.7 (SD 6.1)=
 years. There were 3 miscarriages, 4 elective abortions, and 17 term=
 pregnancies. Use of amantadine during the first trimester was associated=
 with a heterogeneous group of obstetric complications including=
 miscarriage. Ten of the 17 completed pregnancies were associated with=
 permanent worsening of PD symptoms, which did not affect overall=
 disability. Among the series as a whole there was no excess incidence of=
 obstetric complications or fetal defects.
PMID: 3601093, UI: 87258806

i'd be happy to dig further
if you think it would be useful

your cyber-sibling in archy-ology

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada