Bill said,
"PD costs society more than $68 million a day--much of it tax dollars
,(although how much has not been documented to the best of my knowledfge)
The thing I can't understand is with the fiscal good sense it makes to cure
this thing, why did we have to beat our brains out to get Congress to act?
Why didn't they just pass the darn Mo Act right away?"

Well, I hate to say it, but I think that's part of human nature, i.e., to
put things off until you can no longer ignore them and they're finally right
up in your face.  It would seem to me also that the fiscally prudent route
would be to spend that same money on prevention and research for a cure,
rather than supporting people indefinitely on disability, but logic and
reason, sadly enough, often have little to do with people's decisions.
Likewise, it would seem to me, that pd  research money, in the long run,
would also be most effectiive if concentrated in the areas of prevention and
focussing on the causes (e.g., liver deficiencies and toxins), rather than
on treating symptoms primarily.

One good thing lately is Clinton's attempt to change the medicare/medicaid
system, so that people can afford to go back to work, rather than living off
disability or even welfare, without risking losing their medical benefits.
That kid I used to tutor a few years ago in this houseing project, and his
family, were a prime example of this.  His mother, tho' only in her early
40's, had already had 2 strokes and thus took twenty-some pills a day.  She
couldn't afford to go off welfare, cuz if she did, she'd lose her medical,
and that'd probably spell her death sentence.  Due to her relative lack of
education and/or job skills, she could only take low-paying jobs without
benefits.  So, she was basically trapped forever on welfare, altho' that
wasn't really what she wanted.  I know she wanted to work.  I'm sure living
in the environment she did, was no help to her health either.  If it's to
someone's detriment to work rather than to not, why would they?  I don't
think even the most politically conservative types would do differently,
were they ever faced with the same situation.   I think most people, given
the choice, would rather be self-sufficient, rather than dependent on
someone else, but sometimes, in certain situations, people need to some
help, not to mention incentive, to make the transition.  Some of this all
translate for me into my desire to cure myself of means other than surgeries
and drugs eventually.  I don't want to be dependent on anything of that sort
for my survival, especially if I'm forced to one day live off of a fixed
income.  That's for the birds, and it isn't right.

Ya know, I was thinking also recently, about our insurance system.  They
could also probably reduce their costs long-term, especially for chronic
illnesses like pd, but expanding their coverage to include some other, now
unconventional items.  One would be a cook (preferably one well-versed in
whole and organic foods) to cook for the pd patient.  It's a vicious cycle,
I know at least for myself.  After a day's work, the last thing I feel like
doing is cooking, especially with my pd, but I really need to eat alot, and
to eat well.  My ability to function depends alot on my overall health, my
energy level, etc.  In the long run, that could only retard the progression
of my disease, and also serve to keep my healthy otherwise, so to deal with
all the little side things that come up.  I think having cleaning people
take care of our homes should also be covered.  We should also be covered if
we wanted to either build homes that are free of toxic materials, or if we
would want to do some sort of cleanup of our existing homes.  Like
installing ultrasonic pest repellers rather than using pesticides,  Using
paints that are non-toxic.  Getting rid of all of the standard household
chemicals and replacing them with alternative and less-toxic ones.  Covering
such supplies as herbs and vitamins, and also therpaies and classes like tai
chi, meditation, etc.  Physical therapists are now covered, but what about
exercise equipment for our homes?  The list could grow quite a bit, but if
ya think about it, some of these things could not only make our lives
easier, but I think ultimately, improve our health, reduce our stress, and
in the end, cost much less money.  The longer we can maintain our
independence and work, etc., the better off we all are.  I know for me, the
deciding factor in my choosing to finally go on disability and give up
working, won't necessarily be that I can't work, but that I can't work and
keep up with all these other things in my life (cooking, cleaning, exercise,
etc.) and fit them all into one day.  Even your average, "healthy" American
has trouble doing it too, if the studies on the prevalence of sleep
depravation are any indication.

Anyway, thought I'd throw that one out there for some discussion as well.

Wendy Tebay