    I first became aware of Bill a couple of months ago when he posted a
rueful
message describing his situation as [from memory] 42 years old, broke, no
prospects, divorced, living in a rented room and  living with Parkinson's
Disease.   42 years old.  Somehow the age struck me.  He most probably has
another 42 years on this earth, possibly 42 more years of being broke,
divorced and living in a single room - and towards the end perhaps demented
and then maybe comatose like Rep. Udall.  For the last ten years [considered
to be a long prison sentence in the State of NJ] or so of this wonderful
life, will anyone ever want to talk to him, much less ever want to listen to
him?

    It was this post of Bill's, I believe, that caused me to rant and rave a
bit
regarding the unspeakable (in more ways than one!) inequities in NIH funding
between the various diseases.  I just
think it's a real shame that someone with as much on the ball and as
talented as Bill has to face the possibility of another 42 years of being
broke, divorced and living in rented room.

    Sorry for being such a sourpuss his afternoon - time to look for some
new
jokes......

B. Bruce Anderson (52, 4)
Schooley's Mtn., NJ