Charles T. Meyer, M.D. wrote:

> LISTFRIENDS:
>
> I have been asked by a former listmember, who is a physician and PWP in
> Rome Italy to post the question on the list whether anybody knows any
> references or has had personnal experience with PD while being
> pregnant.  I will forward all responses to him.
>
> Thanks
>
> Charlie
>
> --
> ******************************************************************************************
>
> Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
> Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin
> ******************************************************************************************

Dr. Meyer:

I became pregnant in March 1996 around the same time that I was told
I probably had Multiple System Atrophy.  I went off my medications,
Eldepryl & Sinemet for eight weeks because of the studies that
showed that there had been teratogenic (sp?) abnormalities in rabbits
when given Sinemet.  I was trying for the first trimester since
my neurologist said that that would be the critical time as far as
development  for the baby.  I would not recommend that anyone try
that unless their symptoms are very mild.  I walked the floors all
night many times, and the pain was awful.  After eight weeks I
had a threatened miscarriage and generally I was in BAD shape.  I
learned later that many times people are put in ICU for a "drug
holiday".
I wasn't. I just toughed it out and didn't even go to the neurologist
because I was too sick to go and I wasn't going to take medicine
so there was no point.  The day before the threatened miscarriage I
took l/2 of a 50/200 Sinemet.  That may have caused it, though I
can't be sure.  I had decided that I didn't think I was going to make
it, so if I didn't the baby would not either.  I was positive that
I had miscarried, but when the sonagram was done, it showed that
the baby was still alive.  For the remainder of my pregnancy, I went
back on the Sinemet, but as little as I could tolerate.  My
daughter, Mia, was born December 5, 1996 and was two years old just
the other day.  She is BEAUTIFUL, CHARMING, FUNNY, DELIGHTFUL, and
everything else you can think of rolled into one.  She seemed to be
perfectly healthy at birth, and she  has had no unusual medical
problems that we are aware of.

I lost 50 lbs while carrying the baby.  I had mental symptoms like
'brain fog, confusion, etc.  It was terrible.  The delivery however
was cinchy, I think because my muscles were not working correctly.
If I can be of further help please feel free to email me at

Janet Cornwell