Well the press did it again!! The story on  sham surgery and featuring
our own Ruth Ashley was reasonably done.  Bob Bazell who had done the
DATELINE story on the STN stimulation did this one also. Both the TV
report ant the Wall Street Journal article
reprinted on MSNBC web site at{  http://MSNBC.com/news/222719.asp  } are
reasonable and bring to light to the general public interesting and
important issues in medical ethics.  But I was horrified by the promos
given for the segment earlier in the day and (I quote exactly from MSNBC

Friday on NBC ‘Nightly News’
                 Imagine if you thought you were getting an operation
                 that could save your life — major surgery — but later
                 found out it was a sham, and the doctors knew about
                 it all along. Tune in for our report.

They present it like they are exposing a major medical fraud rather than
an ethical debate,

I am a participant in the  Tampa (Dr. Freeman) surgery program and found
everyone involved straightforward, informative and highly ethical.  It
is extremely stressful but we (My family and  I ) went into my surgery
eyes open and fully informed.

If any other participants have had different experiences  would like to
hear about it.

Charlie

Charlie
--