Liz-

No the homeless person  does not die from the poverty.  He/she dies from
starvation secondary to poverty.  Both are important to know.  While it is
obvious that an emaciated person needs nourishment or they will die what the
PROXIMATE CAUSE OF DEATH (medico-legal term for the immediate of cause of death)
is is the malnutrition not the poverty. While I doubt that in this case Poverty
would go on the death certificate- and it probably should since I agree with you
that it is the cause- but a social cause rather than a medical one and the
people in the coroner's office wouldn't know how to code it for the death
certificate.    In the case of PD,   It probably  would be written as something
like "Cardio-respiratory arrest secondary to pneumonia and secondary to PD.  "

So technically nobody tie of PD they die of the complications of PD.  Also PD
does not seem to materially shorten life -  which goes against intuition since
many of us have seen people die who wouldn't have died if they didn't have PD.

But regardless.  Whatever it says on the death certificate is totally
meaningless if your laying in that box..

Charlie

--

Charles T. Meyer,  M.D.
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin