Ted has asked me to post this for him...

 Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 12:00:47 -0500
 From: ted nelson <[log in to unmask]>

Mr. Quist has repeated a very old math ( arithmetic ) problem. Let's try
it this way. The clerk has $25, the three men have $3, and the bell boy
has $ 2. This, very nicely, adds up to $ 30. Or each man put up $10 for
a total of $30. Then each man is given $1 for a total of $3. Now the
bell boy has $2. The hotel has $ 25. This again adds up $30.
                                        Ted

John I Quist wrote:
> Hello, everybody!

 To keep you busy for a while during the holidays, I thought I should
send you a little math problem:

 Three guys share a hotel room costing $25. After the night the hotel
boy comes and collects $30 from the men, ten from each one of them.
He goes down to the lobby to pay and get change.
He comes back with five one-dollars.
The men decide to give the kid two dollars and take one each.

 Sum: Three men pay 9 dollars each. 3x9=27
      The hotel boy gets two dollars.    2
                                       $29

 WHERE DID THAT LAST DOLLAR GO??

 :)