Dear Janet,

Since leaving the PARKINSN list I have had more time to read some old
postings.  I came across yours and read it with interest.  It touches on
several issues of interest to me, especially the rate of progression of PD.  I
know it is variable but your statement: "also the fact that time to disability
may vary as much as 40 years..." is fascinating.  Do you have more on that?

Concerning your hunch about oxygen and PD...you may be able to track down some
supportive material if you find people who have PD and who have also developed
COPD and who are on continuous O2.  Secondly, you might want to talk with
PWP's who have had heart attacks and find out their experiences with their PD
while they were on O2 with respect to their symptoms (provided they were still
receiving the same amount of parkinsonian agents as they usually received in
the community)

You may also want to talk with Hershel Toomin ([log in to unmask]) concerning
your hypoperfusion hypothesis.  Hershel has been developing an interesting
gizmo (description at end of this post) which measures areas of oxygen
hypoperfusion in the brain and correlating that with a person's EEG.  He has
found interesting and I think significant clinical implications with this non-
invasive technique.  I asked him a question a few months ago about how that
might be of value for people with PD and he said that while he had not
actually explored that area, he thought there would be merit.

Janet, since I am basically just sending in material to the list just from
time to time, I would appreciate it if you would let me know if this generates
any interesting discussion.

Good luck,

Tim Hodgens

--

Tim Hodgens, Ph.D.
Psychologist

---

   CEREBRAL CIRCULATION FEEDBACK WITH INFRARED LIGHT  SCALP TRANSDUCER

* Hershel Toomim, Antoine Remond, Marjorie Toomim, Robert Marsh, and Robert
Lerk

ABSTRACT

Near infrared spectrophotometry is a non-invasive technique useful in
Hemoencephalography (HEG) for measuring and training  neurofeedback aided
control of hemoglobin saturation in the brain.  The method relates optical
signals detected at the surface of the head to the ratio of oxygenated
capillary blood to total capillary blood in a small volume of cortical tissue.
Red and near infrared light sources shine through the translucent skull at
appropriately chosen wavelengths.  The method relies on light reflection and
scattering by red blood cells. Returned light, altered in color by brain
tissues, is measured at the skin surface.  The ratio of  the collected
transcranial non-invasive optical signals from a dual wavelength near-infrared
spectrophotometer is used to control a computer-generated display to which a
subject can respond and learn to control the color of cortical tissues.
Results show the spectrophotometric measurements are readily controllable by
subject's intent and are consonant with EEG measures.  Clinical results are
rapid and positive in those brain injuries and dysfunctions encountered to
date. In one case the HEG spectrophotometric treatment has been validated with
a pre and post treatment SPECT finding.