        I had a nice surprise this morning - my letter to the Buffalo News was
published in "Everybody's Column." It was placed at the top of the page,
under a large photo of Michael J. Fox, and the headline - "PROVIDE
FUNDING FOR PARKINSON'S RESEARCH" - sure to get people's attention.
Unfortunately, although there was only a little editing, the one sentence
they did change was my wording "Over 1 million Americans have been
diagnosed with Parkinson's…"  to "of the 1 million Americans …"
        But, this is the first time the Buffalo News has included anything about
Parkinson's research funding, so I am very happy about it. I also sent
additional information to the Health Editor, and suggested a report on
the funding issues, but haven't heard anything yet. This is my letter, as
published:

PROVIDE FUNDING FOR PARKINSON'S RESEARCH

At the age of 45, I too learned that Parkinson's Disease does not strike
only the elderly. Of the 1 million Americans  diagnosed with Parkinson's,
an estimated 15% are under the age of 50. Most people were unaware of
this until Michael J. Fox's courageous announcement.
Although advances have been made in the treatment of the symptoms, there
is no cure, and the disease progresses relentlessly. Like Fox, many
people with Parkinson's try to remain optimistic.
However the questions - how much longer do I have to live a normal life,
to work, to be able to care for my family, to be able to care for myself
- are always lurking in your thoughts.
On the Parkinson's Information Exchange, an international e-mail
discussion and support group, we hear from many young onset patients who
have become too disabled to continue working. The newly diagnosed know
that without a cure, it is only a matter of time before they will be
disabled too.
For years, inadequate funding for Parkinson's research has impeded
progress towards a cure. Recognizing the disparity in federal funding for
PD, Congress passed the Morris K. Udall Parkinson's Disease Research Act
in 1997, authorizing $100 million for research.
However for the second year, Congress has failed to appropriate funding
for the Udall Act.  In addition, there have been efforts recently to
limit or ban stem cell research, which scientists say shows great promise
for curing this disease, as well as many others.
If we are to conquer Parkinson's Disease so that all of its victims can
look forward to productive, independent lives, it is crucial that all
avenues of medical research be fully supported.

Linda Herman