Dear List-family....

The Daily News, a Los Angeles local newspaper, has an article today
(Dec.7) called "Parkinson's Out Front: Living with Parkinson's
disease."
This article was born out of entertainer Michael J. Fox's speaking
out about his having PD, and is primarily devoted to those who also
found themselves with the disease while in the prime of life.

The article was factual, and painted an honest picture of what it CAN
be like living with PD.  In my own case, I believe that only some of
the negatives in my life were mentioned, rather than the more
balanced view of both the negatives AND positives which I had
conveyed during the interview (because I DO have positive times and
events in my life).  Consequently, I felt I came across in the
article as kinda pitiable -YUCK!  I certainly didn't try to convey
THAT as I was interviewed!

However, I DO recognize the reporter was trying to get across to the
general public just what a terribly destructive force Parkinson's can
be in the lives of those who must live with it, so with effort, I CAN
understand where she was coming from when she stressed the negatives.

ASIDE:  Perhaps what I've come to accept as a "decent,
considering-what's-going-on-within-my-body kinda life" IS viewed as
negative, even horrifying, to someone like the reporter, an active
person of 26?

Since I've just passed the 24
years-with-symptoms-of-Parkinson's-mark, which is nearly half of my
life, it's conceivable I don't even remember what a "normal" life
WITHOUT Parkinson's is like any longer...

Oops!  I digress..... While my name starts the article off - that,
and a simply GODAWFUL picture (blushing), several other Parkies who
have had PD since they were in their thirties and forties, when the
first PD symptoms made themselves known, are also quoted and helped
to really flesh out the picture of what it's like living under the
PD-gun.

Considering limitations in print-space as well as time constraints
imposed by having a deadline to meet, the reporter was none-the-less
still able to get a LOT of valid information into the
page-and-a-third long article.  Her empathy was present throughout
the article as well... a nice feeling.

By the way, tomorrow, along with several other PWP - some on the
stage and others a part of the audience (I'll be in the latter
group), I'm going to be interviewed on "The LEEZA Show," a nationally
syndicated  TV program, which will air, as I understand it, sometime
within about a week of the taping.

I pray this public momentum keeps growing, and that Michael J. Fox,
now that he's started the ball rolling, will step into the void by
becoming a vocal and visible Parkinson's advocate where he's so very
much needed.

Anyway, as soon as I can get someone to scan the article for me, I'll
post it onto the List for ya all to read.

Barb Mallut